Crafty - or, Why I Heart Decoupage

image by definitionoffun

Cutting and sticking. Isn’t that one of the first things we learn to do as toddlers? With our Pritt Sticks and crayons and our safe plastic scissors, most of us take our introduction into the world of creativity with the holy trinity of child-friendly pursuits: cutting, sticking, and colouring in. So when my sister gave me a gorgeous trinket box for Christmas, one that she had lovingly decorated with blue and white decoupage paper, I had a sudden flashback to when we were little, and I suspected that she had just as much fun preparing the gift as I did receiving it, if not more. She even keeps coming back and suggesting that I might like her to touch up the box; she could paint the edges for instance, or just stick on a few more bits of decoration.

She’s obsessed. I think she might actually be addicted. And I don’t blame her; decoupage is brilliant, and it’s becoming increasingly fashionable amongst young people in their teens and twenties. My theory about this is that it’s very simple – there’s no knack to learn, unlike knitting – and you get to make gorgeous little trinkets to decorate your room for a fraction of the cost of designer homeware. Unusual patterns in simple, two-tone colours are big in interior design fashion at the moment, and this effect is very easy to create with decoupage. It requires little skill and gives stunning results, leaving you feeling like a world class artist and like you should really, for the good of mankind, take your handiwork to be exhibited in the Tate. I think that this is how all arts and crafts should feel – yes it’s a hobby, and maybe it’s something your granny did, but it’s also about making something beautiful that you’re really proud of, that you want to show off. It’s immensely satisfying – a small scale version of making a wonderful home for yourself, or putting together a fabulous outfit.

I had my first introduction to decoupage when my sister took me to The Imagination Workshop in Edinburgh, a little studio overflowing with decorative papers and glitter and sequins and glue and things to decorate. Everything was available to be adorned - model giraffes, mirrors, bird houses, treasure chests… you got the feeling a small child might have wandered in and accidentally been plastered with silver paint and glitter, and been left standing amongst the rainbow-coloured model animals. It felt totally magical. I left with a mirror and a trinket box to decorate. That afternoon was so therapeutic, just cutting (or mostly ripping, really, which was pretty effective stress relief) and sticking, and seeing my little work of art take shape.

My favourite thing about decoupage is that if you use the specially designed paper and plenty of glue, the finished product actually looks as though you have painted it from scratch, rather than stuck on something ready-patterned. This is probably what makes it so impressive, and what makes me feel so smug about showing everyone what I’m capable of. Shhh – I won’t tell if you won’t.

Decoupage is a fantastically versatile art. You can use it in journals, scrapbooks, to decorate tables and chairs and mirrors, to add a bit of colour to a room – I’ve even seen it used to cover a dressmaker’s mannequin, which is a great idea. If you’re going to have something permanently in use in your room, why not make it a feature? You don’t even have to use the special decoupage paper – newspaper cuttings, wrapping paper, and bits of old posters work well too. So this is my tip for the miserable February evenings that we have ahead of us – get yourself some paper and glue and a object that needs brightening up, and go crazy. Indulge your creativity – and you might find that it inspires you to even bigger things. I’m considering a makeover of my bedroom walls…

Further Reading:
Decopatch - A website specialising in tools and tips for for decoupage. The authority on the art, the king of the craft.
Equipment! - You really don't need all this, but still, I covet.
Inspiration: Decoupage Moleskine, letter A, table, clogs (!), light switch, desk tidies, shop mannequin... See how endless it is! You really can use it for anything.

Love from Char xxx

6 comments:

CharCharChar, can we go to that place when I come to Edinburgh at Easter?

Fantastic idea, girl :)

Monday, 4 February 2008 at 20:51:00 GMT  

Yeah of course! It's amazing!

Monday, 4 February 2008 at 21:11:00 GMT  

How did I not know about the Imagination Workshop?!?!?! Would you like to do some crafty things when we meet up? I'm wedded to my Pritt Stick.

Tuesday, 5 February 2008 at 21:49:00 GMT  

That's what I like to hear! We should go! It's in Marchmont, is that anyway near you? It's a bus ride for me but well worth it ;)

You can go and do the crafty stuff while you're there, so that might be fun!

Tuesday, 5 February 2008 at 23:16:00 GMT  

I would love that! Marchmont's pretty easy for me to get to, on foot or by bus.

Wednesday, 6 February 2008 at 16:38:00 GMT  

Ace, it's a date!

Wednesday, 6 February 2008 at 17:29:00 GMT  

Newer Post Older Post Home